Re: Usability issue, newly installed Fedora KDE plasma

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 9:36 AM, Morten W. Petersen <morphex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> They are. That is why I would recommand, nowdays, to use the Negativo
>> repositories. The commands to use are described here:
>>
>>   https://negativo17.org/nvidia-driver/
>
> Well is this splintering of NVIDIA driver maintenance something that has
> some good reasons or is it simply something like technical purism?

As it says on the link, there are some differences between the way the
two are packaged. However, one of the main reasons the negativo17
repository has been popularized as an alternative is because of the
new "third party repository policy" for Fedora, which allows editions
to ship disabled third-party repositories dedicated more or less to a
single package for easier auditing. The Workstation WG wanted to
enable installation of the nvidia driver from inside GNOME Software
directly, but the policy effectively prevents RPM Fusion as currently
constituted from being included: hence the use of the negativo17
repository as an alternative.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Workstation/Third_party_software_proposal
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Third_Party_Repository_Policy

There was some discussion about potentially splitting out RPM Fusion's
nvidia driver into a separate repository as well that could be
included under this policy, but it hasn't yet been done.

Ben Rosser