Re: Cert penning, Certs and related

On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 16:51:25 -0500
Colin Walters <walters@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2016, at 02:00 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>
> > The various browsers already have our digicert cert hard coded.
> > So, if we ever had problems with that cert and had to switch to the
> > secondary or tertiary certs, all browser access would be broken. ;(
> >
> > So, perhaps we should be more targeted here and only do this for
> > some particular endpoints? mirrors.fedoraproject.org and
> > dl.fedoraproject.org ? That way if we had to fall back to another
> > cert only those would be broken for browsers.
>
> I don't understand this btw - the CA pinning we're talking about
> would only be for software mechanisms like dnf/rpm-ostree and
> possibly docker/flatpak.

Right now for say dnf, it would hit mirrors.fedoraproject.org (for the
metalink) and possibly dl.fedoraproject.org (if it happened to get it
at the end of the metalink). I was saying instead of pinning our
wildcard *.fedoraproject.org cert (which we use for a number of sites /
places) we could just get specific non wildcard ones for these sites.

However, pondering on it more those would still have to be on the
proxies, so I am not sure it would buy us in the end.

kevin