Re: Cert penning, Certs and related

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 16:57:25 +0000
Patrick Uiterwijk <puiterwijk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

...snip...

> As far as I know, yum/dnf supports setting a cafile for repos, so we
> can just update fedora-repos.

That doesn't help. If we are using a well known cert, it's already
valid based on the system ca's, and IMHO it would be very poor to use a
self signed cert for this. So, either librepo carries a static list for
our base repos or we add support for HPKP.

> > * The complex way to do pinning would be to setup
> >   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Public_Key_Pinning
> >   For this we would need to get backup keys for our cert(s) that are
> >   used for this and setup webservers to send the right headers. This
> >   would also need (more complex) changes in librepo and/or
> > somewhere in ostree. This would also optionally get us reports of
> > violations.
>
> I would prefer this, since that means the configuration is
> server-side and we can phase over to a different CA or something at a
> later point in time way easier.

Still will need HPKP support in the clients... but yeah, it has
advantages.

kevin