Re: Cert penning, Certs and related

On Monday, October 10, 2016 10:27:29 AM CDT Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> We have a request (
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/5372 ) to setup ssl cert
> pinning for ostree deliverables. It's also been a long wishlist item
> to have that for rpm deliverables too. Unfortunately there's a bunch of
> moving parts here that we need to sort out before we can move this
> forward.
>
> First some background/info:
>
> * kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org currently uses a valid digisign cert. It
>   needs this because browsers download from it directly, our builders
>   download from it directly, etc.
>
> * pkgs/koji currently use certs signed by the Fedora Koji CA (which
>   expires in 2024). This is currently needed by koji to do builds and
>   the upload cgi for lookaside.

The koji CA expires in 2018

> * We are hoping to deploy soon a pair of freeipa servers in production
>   that get information from fas and allow us to issue kerberos tickets.
>   koji can already authenticate via this method.
>
> * There's an outstanding ticket about having a verified way to get
>   source: https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/2324
>
> Questions we need to figure out:
>
> * Are we going to retire/replace the koji CA? My thought was yes, but I
>   think Dennis wasn't on board with this. Can anyone who wants to save
>   it speak up? :)
I am against kerberos being the only auth mechanism. I suspect that some
people either cant for reasons beyond our control or won't set up kerberos for
auth

> * The upload cgi would need to auth with kerberos and sigul would need
>   to auth with kerberos for this to work.
>
> * If we are not completely retiring the koji CA, are we replacing it?
If not retired it has to be replaced, could be certs from freeipa that auto
renew with  certmonger, which i suspect users would like better than entering
their kerberos password once a day.

> * Is ostree going to stay distributed at kojipkgs ? Or is it going to
>   move somewhere else? we should figure out the final place for it
>   before we go setting up cert pinning.
No, it needs to go on the mirrors when we sort out how to mirror it, and the
client and mirrormanager support it

> * The simple way to do pinning is for the application(s) to include a
>   hard coded list of valid certs. I guess this would require changes in
>   librepo and somewhere in ostree?
>
> * The complex way to do pinning would be to setup
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Public_Key_Pinning
>   For this we would need to get backup keys for our cert(s) that are
>   used for this and setup webservers to send the right headers. This
>   would also need (more complex) changes in librepo and/or somewhere in
>   ostree. This would also optionally get us reports of violations.
>
> Thoughts? Comments?

Not against making changes, but I do not think that they totally fit into long
term goals

Dennis