Re: Cert penning, Certs and related

I meant to reply to this eariler. ;)

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 17:20:06 -0500
Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Monday, October 10, 2016 10:27:29 AM CDT Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > Greetings.
> >
> > We have a request (
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/5372 ) to setup ssl
> > cert pinning for ostree deliverables. It's also been a long
> > wishlist item to have that for rpm deliverables too. Unfortunately
> > there's a bunch of moving parts here that we need to sort out
> > before we can move this forward.
> >
> > First some background/info:
> >
> > * kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org currently uses a valid digisign cert.
> > It needs this because browsers download from it directly, our
> > builders download from it directly, etc.
> >
> > * pkgs/koji currently use certs signed by the Fedora Koji CA (which
> >   expires in 2024). This is currently needed by koji to do builds
> > and the upload cgi for lookaside.
>
> The koji CA expires in 2018

ok

> > * We are hoping to deploy soon a pair of freeipa servers in
> > production that get information from fas and allow us to issue
> > kerberos tickets. koji can already authenticate via this method.
> >
> > * There's an outstanding ticket about having a verified way to get
> >   source: https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/2324
> >
> > Questions we need to figure out:
> >
> > * Are we going to retire/replace the koji CA? My thought was yes,
> > but I think Dennis wasn't on board with this. Can anyone who wants
> > to save it speak up? :)
> I am against kerberos being the only auth mechanism. I suspect that
> some people either cant for reasons beyond our control or won't set
> up kerberos for auth

I'm interested in what these reasons could be.

Maintaining 2 authentication stacks is not something we really want to
do if we can at all avoid it. And kerberos should be a good deal more
secure than certs I would think, and we still don't have a great setup
to manage the certs.

> > * The upload cgi would need to auth with kerberos and sigul would
> > need to auth with kerberos for this to work.
> >
> > * If we are not completely retiring the koji CA, are we replacing
> > it?
> If not retired it has to be replaced, could be certs from freeipa
> that auto renew with  certmonger, which i suspect users would like
> better than entering their kerberos password once a day.

well, we can adjust the kerberos settings. If they can renew for a week
would that be sufficent?

> > * Is ostree going to stay distributed at kojipkgs ? Or is it going
> > to move somewhere else? we should figure out the final place for it
> >   before we go setting up cert pinning.
> No, it needs to go on the mirrors when we sort out how to mirror it,
> and the client and mirrormanager support it

Right, so doing some cert pinning right now might be not a great idea
if we are just going to move it.

> > * The simple way to do pinning is for the application(s) to include
> > a hard coded list of valid certs. I guess this would require
> > changes in librepo and somewhere in ostree?
> >
> > * The complex way to do pinning would be to setup
> >   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_Public_Key_Pinning
> >   For this we would need to get backup keys for our cert(s) that are
> >   used for this and setup webservers to send the right headers. This
> >   would also need (more complex) changes in librepo and/or
> > somewhere in ostree. This would also optionally get us reports of
> > violations.
> >
> > Thoughts? Comments?
>
> Not against making changes, but I do not think that they totally fit
> into long term goals

Well, I can definitely see the need for cert pinning and moving to
kerberos, but perhaps you can expand on the long term goals that this
doesn't address?

kevin