Re: Lost in translation: font policy ambiguous regarding localization groups

Roozbeh Pournader wrote:
> Having just renamed two character-rich fonts, I was planning to add
> them to relative xxx-support groups when I found that I really don't
> know what the fonts policy means there. Quoting from
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:FontsPolicy#Grouping:
>
> * Font packages in a non-legacy format (TTF or OTF): [...]
>   2. SHOULD also be registered in every applicable xxx-support
> localization group:
>     * except groups that only require glyphs in the basic latin range.
>
> What does "the basic latin range" mean here? Does it mean all the
> characters in the Unicode range U+0000..U+007F, which Unicode calls
> "Basic Latin", and everybody just calls ASCII? Or does it mean
> U+0000..00FF, which according to Unicode is called "Basic
> Latin+Latin-1 Supplement"?
>
> Even when I take the extended definiition, looking at the existing
> comps file for F11, it seems that the following languages need glyphs
> outside that range, and still list not a single font in the
> xxx-support localization group. I have listed some of the extra
> characters they need too:
>
> * Afrikaans: U+0149
> * Bosnian: U+0106, U+010C, U+017D
> * Catalan: U+013F, U+0140
> * Esperanto: U+0108, U+011C, U+0124
> * Finnish: U+0160, U+017D
> * French: U+0152, U+0153, U+0178
>
> The list goes on. The source of needed glyphs come from *.orth files
> in fontconfig. In fontconfig's source tree, they are in the fc-lang
> subdirectory.
>
> I think we really need to reword that part of the policy. We need to
> mention how to find the glyphs needed for each language (from
> fontconfig? CLDR?), how to find the languages a font supports (is
> there a fc-list command line argument?), and redefine (and reword)
> "groups that only require glyphs in the basic latin range" to make
> sure everyone gets the same meaning from it.

I confess I don't really know how this xxx-support localization group thingy
works, but for F11, we are implementing this font autoinstallation feature and
as part of that font packages are automatically tagged with languages they
support.  For example, a font supporting Persian and English (among others),
will have RPM Provides "Font(:lang=fa)" and "Font(:lang=en)".  Maybe these can
be used to obviate manual tagging?

/me lets Nicolas take it from here

behdad