Re: [Marketing] Re: [MAGAZINE PROPOSAL] Fwd: [DRAFT] Why we're retiring 32-bit Images (was Re: Retiring 32-bit images)

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 04:30:39PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> I understand what you're saying, but the reason I'm so insistent on it
> is that this isn't just my usual linguistic nitpicking but an entirely
> practical issue. When you say 'i686 should be a secondary arch', and
> Dennis or Kevin reads it, what they understand by that is exactly what
> I've been saying, what you want to call 'koji-secondary'. If someone
> sends an 'i686 should be secondary' proposal to FESCo and it gets
> passed, what is going to happen is that releng is going to make it a
> secondary arch in the strict technical sense of the term I've been
> explaining. This is why I think it's rather important to use the term
> in the way that's understood by the people in charge of the things that
> make the bits. ;)

That's fair, but it goes the other way too — the way the people making
the bits are using the term isn't always obvious to everyone else. It
might be easier to get a few technical users to change their jargon
than it will be to continually explain to incoming contributors that
the words have this precise non-obvious meaning.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>