Re: [Marketing] Re: [MAGAZINE PROPOSAL] Fwd: [DRAFT] Why we're retiring 32-bit Images (was Re: Retiring 32-bit images)

On Mon, 2016-04-18 at 21:34 -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:

> > I prefer to move it to secondary because people could be  relying on it still,
> > it gives us a way to move forward and not be blocked on 32 bit x86. If it does
> > not work then it will not get shipped. Just dropping them on the floor does
> > not give as smooth a transition, nor does it give people that want it still
> > the chance to pick it up and continue to carry it forward.
>
> Is the context Cloud, or in general? I think going from primary for
> all products to totally dropping it is a problem, even if install
> media is non-blocking. I have no stake in i686 at all, and I think
> Cloud and Server are less affected by totally dropping i686 than
> Workstation; but I think quitting i686 cold turkey needs
> reconsideration.

I think it might be useful to try and be clear about terminology here.
We have two established terminology pairs:

'primary' vs. 'secondary'
'blocking' vs. 'non-blocking'

these are entirely distinct from each other and relate to different
things, at least as they've always been used before. 'primary' and
'secondary' refer specifically to *architectures* and their status in
the build system. Package builds for 'primary' arches are done
together, and if build fails on any arch, that package is considered
failed for all primary arches and will not be tagged into any compose.
Package builds for each 'secondary' arch are done in separate Koji
instances and have no impact on whether the package build is considered
'good'. This is the main practical distinction between a 'primary arch'
and a 'secondary arch'. It is implicit in this that 'primary arch' vs.
'secondary arch' status is *project-wide*, it cannot be decided at the
level of a SIG or flavor or whatever.

'blocking' and 'non-blocking' are terms that refer to *images* (and
possibly other release-related deliverables). A 'release blocking'
deliverable is one to which we apply some or all release criteria and
which must be present, and meet all defined requirements, for a release
to be approved. A 'non release blocking' deliverable is the opposite:
the release cannot be delayed for a 'non blocking' deliverable being
broken or entirely absent, they are provided on a 'best effort' basis.

Whether a given deliverable is 'blocking' or not *can* be decided at
the level of a flavor or WG, and I believe the current process is that
the WG or SIG or whatever responsible for each deliverable can make
this decision, with sign-off from FESCo.

The relationship between these two pairs of statuses is as follows:
secondary arch deliverables cannot be release-blocking, primary arch
deliverables may be blocking or non-blocking.

FESCo has already decided that no i686 image for Fedora 24 or later can
be 'release blocking' by policy. There is (AIUI) no wiggle room in that
decision: we cannot block releases on i686 images any more.

However, i686 is still a 'primary arch' within the meaning of that
term: i686 builds are done in the main Koji along with x86_64 and
armhfp builds, and if a build is submitted and fails on i686, that
whole build is 'failed'.

> If the idea is we should block on i686 in general for upgrading, I'd
> agree, even though it's a pain.

QA referred the question of whether upgrades from a release where i686
was 'release blocking' (<24) to releases where i686 is 'non blocking'
(>23) should be considered 'release blocking' to FESCo. i.e. if there
are violations of the release criteria in this upgrade path, should we
treat that as blocking the Beta or Final releases. FESCo's decision was
"no".

I really think it would help if we use these terms carefully and
precisely, and if we're going to re-define them in any way, make that
clear and explicit.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey