Re: [Marketing] Re: [MAGAZINE PROPOSAL] Fwd: [DRAFT] Why we're retiring 32-bit Images (was Re: Retiring 32-bit images)

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 1:11 PM, Adam Williamson
<adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> QA referred the question of whether upgrades from a release where i686
> was 'release blocking' (<24) to releases where i686 is 'non blocking'
> (>23) should be considered 'release blocking' to FESCo. i.e. if there
> are violations of the release criteria in this upgrade path, should we
> treat that as blocking the Beta or Final releases. FESCo's decision was
> "no".

So no matter what, all i686 images (qcow2, raw, ISOs) are non-blocking.

Any i686 package that fails to build means it's failed for all primary
archs, because i686 is a primary arch. And a failed build means it
won't be tagged for compose so depending on the package it could hold
up composes.

But the current i686 problems aren't package build failures, rather
it's a particular critical path package (or two) that are broadly or
entirely non-functional when executed. So what's it called when a
critical path package fails to function on a primary arch? And what's
done about it?

>From my limited perspective, such non-functional failure held up
release when it violated a release criterion in effect because that
non-functionality became coupled with image blocking, i.e. if kernel
doesn't function, then image doesn't function/is DOA, DOA images are a
release criteria violation, therefore block. Correct? Or is there some
terminology nuance here that I'm still missing in the sequence?

> I really think it would help if we use these terms carefully and
> precisely, and if we're going to re-define them in any way, make that
> clear and explicit.

It's best to assume I don't understand the terms well enough to use
them precisely, rather than assume I'm trying to redefine them.

--
Chris Murphy