Re: [Marketing] Re: [MAGAZINE PROPOSAL] Fwd: [DRAFT] Why we're retiring 32-bit Images (was Re: Retiring 32-bit images)

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Sort of, yes.

>> s/best/any.
>>
>>> My stance is that it hold true for all products, spins etc. I think we should
>>> just make i686  a secondary arch completely in f25, in order to do it and keep
>>> i686 multilib we need to redefine secondary arches.
>>
>> I'd be agreeable to this.  In a related vein, I plan on drafting a
>> Change to drop one of the flavors of i686 kernel anyway (likely the
>> non-PAE kernel).  For something we don't expend time on and isn't a
>> focus, building two variants just so we can keep really old hardware
>> around is kind of silly.  If it moves to a secondary arch, they
>> secondary arch team can deal with it.
>
> Define "secondary arch team" as I don't technically deal with the
> kernel as part of the "secondary arch team" I deal with it for ARM as
> my own interest, I help others (Power64/s390x) when it's just pushing
> minor changes.

Your examples matches my expectations.  To expand it formally, "the
group of people that step up to maintain the architecture out of their
own interest."  Ideally we'd have that group lined up before demotion,
or i686 will go the way of sparc and ia64.

PowerPC is the only architecture we've ever demoted, and there were
people interested in plugging along with it as a secondary but
initially it wasn't enough.  Even it had to play catchup with a larger
investment of people and machines.  Machines shouldn't be an issue for
i686 but we do need the people.

josh