Re: [Marketing] Re: [MAGAZINE PROPOSAL] Fwd: [DRAFT] Why we're retiring 32-bit Images (was Re: Retiring 32-bit images)

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 9:50 AM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Monday, April 18, 2016 9:34:35 PM CDT Chris Murphy wrote:

>> > I prefer to move it to secondary because people could be  relying on it
>> > still, it gives us a way to move forward and not be blocked on 32 bit
>> > x86. If it does not work then it will not get shipped. Just dropping them
>> > on the floor does not give as smooth a transition, nor does it give
>> > people that want it still the chance to pick it up and continue to carry
>> > it forward.
>>
>> Is the context Cloud, or in general? I think going from primary for
>> all products to totally dropping it is a problem, even if install
>> media is non-blocking. I have no stake in i686 at all, and I think
>> Cloud and Server are less affected by totally dropping i686 than
>> Workstation; but I think quitting i686 cold turkey needs
>> reconsideration.
>>
>> Anyway I think no one has done anything wrong here, but the warnings
>> of the kernel team were maybe considered something like, "oh, we'll
>> get by one more release or two by the skin of our teeth before it
>> blows up" and yet it just turned out that it's blowing up already.

Sort of, yes.

>> If the idea is we should block on i686 in general for upgrading, I'd
>> agree, even though it's a pain.
>>
>> For Cloud, maybe the way forward at worst is to support Cloud Atomic.
>> And the images are i686 only? Of course that assumes any problems with
>> binutil and kernel, or whatever else comes up, is sanely fixable with
>> a best effort.

s/best/any.

> My stance is that it hold true for all products, spins etc. I think we should
> just make i686  a secondary arch completely in f25, in order to do it and keep
> i686 multilib we need to redefine secondary arches.

I'd be agreeable to this.  In a related vein, I plan on drafting a
Change to drop one of the flavors of i686 kernel anyway (likely the
non-PAE kernel).  For something we don't expend time on and isn't a
focus, building two variants just so we can keep really old hardware
around is kind of silly.  If it moves to a secondary arch, they
secondary arch team can deal with it.

josh