Re: [Marketing] Re: [MAGAZINE PROPOSAL] Fwd: [DRAFT] Why we're retiring 32-bit Images (was Re: Retiring 32-bit images)

>>> Is the context Cloud, or in general? I think going from primary for
>>> all products to totally dropping it is a problem, even if install
>>> media is non-blocking. I have no stake in i686 at all, and I think
>>> Cloud and Server are less affected by totally dropping i686 than
>>> Workstation; but I think quitting i686 cold turkey needs
>>> reconsideration.
>>>
>>> Anyway I think no one has done anything wrong here, but the warnings
>>> of the kernel team were maybe considered something like, "oh, we'll
>>> get by one more release or two by the skin of our teeth before it
>>> blows up" and yet it just turned out that it's blowing up already.
>
> Sort of, yes.
>
>>> If the idea is we should block on i686 in general for upgrading, I'd
>>> agree, even though it's a pain.
>>>
>>> For Cloud, maybe the way forward at worst is to support Cloud Atomic.
>>> And the images are i686 only? Of course that assumes any problems with
>>> binutil and kernel, or whatever else comes up, is sanely fixable with
>>> a best effort.
>
> s/best/any.
>
>> My stance is that it hold true for all products, spins etc. I think we should
>> just make i686  a secondary arch completely in f25, in order to do it and keep
>> i686 multilib we need to redefine secondary arches.
>
> I'd be agreeable to this.  In a related vein, I plan on drafting a
> Change to drop one of the flavors of i686 kernel anyway (likely the
> non-PAE kernel).  For something we don't expend time on and isn't a
> focus, building two variants just so we can keep really old hardware
> around is kind of silly.  If it moves to a secondary arch, they
> secondary arch team can deal with it.

Define "secondary arch team" as I don't technically deal with the
kernel as part of the "secondary arch team" I deal with it for ARM as
my own interest, I help others (Power64/s390x) when it's just pushing
minor changes.