Re: [Marketing] Re: [MAGAZINE PROPOSAL] Fwd: [DRAFT] Why we're retiring 32-bit Images (was Re: Retiring 32-bit images)

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 04:35:45AM -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > I would kinda quibble with that page. I would especially disagree with
> > the text "To put it simply: These are the architectures for which
> > Fedora will delay a release if they are not functional." That is *not*
> > the actual definition of a 'primary arch', and I think whoever added it
> > had an imperfect understanding.
> >
> > I like wiki pages, but when they're wrong, they're wrong. =)
>
> Maybe it's better to say that the definition (as you are using it) has
> become more precise with time? The wiki history shows that phrasing as
> being there since the 2008 import from MoinMoin.

Or, thinking about it another way: the terms are overloaded. There is
the technical aspect of koji builds. There is the aspect of release
blocking. And, there's the aspect of what we promote as a project and
make user facing. Adam, I think you're arguing that we really shouldn't
use "primary" and "secondary" for anything but the first. This is hard,
because they're powerful words that _seem_ useful for describing main
effort vs. other. I think that unless we come up with some other
agreed-upon and equally powerful language, the less-technical sense is
going to keep creeping back into use. Or, we could focus on the build
system and use "koji-primary" and "koji-secondary" for that concept,
making clear that it's technical jargon.

Maybe I'm overthinking, but this whole thread suggests that I'm not the
only one. :)

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>