Fedora Atomic Edition [was Re: Expanding objectives for FAD]

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 03:19:09PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:>
>     Atomic Edition
>         F25 Change
>         Updated PRD
>         Proposal to Council with the above
> -- What F25 change?  What will we be doing about it at the FAD?

Sorry, that terse bit is from me. The expansion is:

When we started the Three Editions part of Fedora.next, our basic
starting point was:

  * something for desktop users
  * something for the traditional server case
  * and something for emerging models of computing

Each of these was supposed to be focused at a subset of that area, with
the general idea being to win by _really_ succeeding at filling the
needs of specific groups. So, we came to:

  * Fedora Workstation, aimed primarily winning software developers.
  * Fedora Server, for easy deployment of services at home and in small
    shops
  * Fedora Cloud, as a base for building scale-out applications in
    public and private clouds

And, the Fedora Cloud thing we made was pretty good, but we just plain
haven't been seeing a lot of buzz around it _outside_ of Fedora, and
while it's useful to people already in the Fedora fold who are into
cloud computing, it's not bringing in a whole lot of new users and
contributors. Plus, since then, the container buzz hype cycle has
exploded.

So, the basic idea is to replace Fedora Cloud Base with Fedora Atomic
Host in the "emerging models" space.

We've generally agreed in this SIG + WG that we want to do this.
However, we don't have a concrete plan for doing so. In order to get to
that, we need:

a) a Fedora 25 change proposal outlining the switch and how it will
   affect websites, releng, docs, and so on.
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/Policy

b) an updated version of the market positioning document
   https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Cloud/Cloud_PRD aimed at the
   container space rather than cloud-at-large. Much of the existing
   document is still relevant. We might not update the whole thing at
   the FAD, but we can at least identify the sections that need work.

c) Once the above are complete, changing what official Editions are
   is a Council-level decision, so we should make that proposal
   officially.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>