Re: Getting more metrics: Fedora net promoter score survey

Matthew Miller <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Net Promoter Score is a gauge of loyalty and engagement. Having that as a
> > > running metric lets us know in a broad sense whether our outreach and
> > > mindshare efforts are working.
> >
> > Personally I'd have expected NPS to be more strongly influenced by
> > someone's experience of using Fedora, rather than outreach and
> > mindshare efforts. If someone recommends a product, isn't it usually
> > because they've used it and liked it?
>
> That's an excellent question and the answer is: I don't know. But in our
> current draft of the survey, the question _after_ the NPS one asks why the
> respondant chose that value.

I'd personally be careful about asking "why": I think the common
research view is that you don't ask respondents to supply the analysis
themselves (peoples' self-understandings are often wrong!)

>From a research design perspective, it would likely be better to ask a
range of more specific questions, rather than having an open question
which you then have to try and interpret afterwards. This would make
it simpler to analyse results, and we could be more confident in how
the respondents understand the questions.

Other things I wonder about NPS:

 - Will it help us understand why activities are successful or
unsuccessful, and how to improve them?
 - How long will it take to see trends over time, and by the time we
see them, will it be too late to change the outcome?

> We can definitely also use this platform to run
> specific targeted surveys, maybe even with a link at the end of GNOME
> initial setup or something like that.

Yep, I'm definitely interested in that!

Allan