Re: Flock and possible upcoming objectives: marketing upfront; internet of things

On 08/16/2015 01:01 PM, Pete Travis wrote:

On Aug 16, 2015 12:48 PM, "Joe Brockmeier" <jzb@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jzb@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

> On 08/14/2015 11:52 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > * I have not gone to business school, so I don't know the terminology
> > here, but right now, Fedora Marketing is largely an afterthought. How
> >   do we "sell" the thing we just made? But, it could be so much more.
> >   How can we get more marketing involvement across the project,
> >   *making* stories, not just making them up? Metrics: more people
> >   across the project involved in marketing; marketing artifacts
> > produced at start of cycles instead of just the end; more press about
> >   Fedora, etc.
>
> I'd like to propose this as an objective and am willing to drive it if
> there's interest. I'm thinking 12-18 months / three releases would be a
> good timeframe (starting with F24) to take this from "how do we do
> this?" to "OK, this is now a really integral part of how we work as a
> project."
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Best,
>
> jzb
> --

I struggle with abstract process improvement proposals; my mind is always searching for a concrete goal to structure for, and doesn't do as well with structure for its own sake. So, I would prefer this to *start* with a story to tell, and build the community scaffolding to align with that message.

Containers seem popular these days, maybe start with the story around atomic host deployments, building scalable application containers, and managing that stack?

--Pete

I guess I read this proposal as more, "how do we make Fedora better at telling people what we are doing" vs "telling them what we did" or "telling this particular story." However, I don't think that means that it needs to be wishy-washy.

The Objective could still have very hard goals, e.g.:
a) identified 3 people who will monitor System-wide Changes and produce a monthly blog post regarding them b) the various marketing-esque teams in Fedora will have a compelling and complete hierarchy c) the Council will be provided a way to directly set marketing direction for objectives

I don't know exactly, I kinda made those up and I would think they would have stages or more detail or stuff, but, I hope I made clear that I, personally, am looking for a proposal of an Objective that enables a framework for all Fedorans to be better at marketing what we are doing, what we did, and why to external audiences. And that proposal would have measurable steps.

Langdon

The Fedora Project's mission is to lead the advancement of free and
open source software and content as a collaborative community.