Re: Flock and possible upcoming objectives: marketing upfront; internet of things

On 08/19/2015 06:06 AM, Peter Robinson wrote:
On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:04 AM, Bill Nottingham <notting@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Peter Robinson (pbrobinson@xxxxxxxxx) said:
I think atomic is an excellent use case for that style of updates and
with decent testing would even provide decent rolling style of update
between releases with the ability to do rollbacks too with one boot
type of functionality (update, set watchdog, reboot, test connectivity
and core functionality, unset one-boot flag for rollback or if tests
fail/watchdog triggers).

The first two items are covered to some degree by atomic, the later
would need some form of push management platform. I've not looked
closely at feedhenry bits as I don't believe they've been opensourced
yet, or I missed the announcement but there could be building blocks
there.
Definitely fits way way better for the use case than our traditional model.
Although given that each IoT thingamajig is likely going to want a level of
customization, that means either concentrating more on the container build
aspect for the customized bits, or if they need heavier customization,
concentrating more on the atomic-producing tools rather than the One True
Atomic IoT tree.
Completely agree, I was thinking something akin to docker layered
images on top of the base. But you also have IoT gateways, and the
various other components of IoT that aren't thingamajig endpoints.

What about an Objective to understand if IoT is a thing for Fedora to pursue? Maybe a shorter one, e.g. 6 months, with metrics like:
a) delivered and evaluated a survey of fedora comm members and interest is n
b) what kind of changes would need to be made to infrastructure tooling?
c) what is the best model for such a pursuit: SiG, Edition, something else?

I suppose SiG could also do this, but, in my mind, a SiG is "we want to pursue this interest, irrelevant of the interests of Fedora at large" (which I mean *very* positively, despite the writing sounding negative). I would think this Objective would be "Let's get Fedora to concentrate on this subject, at large, because reasons"

Langdon

Peter

The Fedora Project's mission is to lead the advancement of free and
open source software and content as a collaborative community.