Re: Flock and possible upcoming objectives: marketing upfront; internet of things

and finally, the one i came here to write :)

On 08/14/2015 11:52 AM, Matthew Miller wrote:
At Flock. Terse message so I don't forget this. :)

Background: <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Objectives>,
<http://fedoramagazine.org/lets-talk-about-fedora-project-objectives/>

Currently, the 3 Editions objective is wrapping up. That means we have
two active ones - modularization and university involvement. The
Council plan calls for 2-4, so 2 is okay, but if we want to spin up
some more, now's a good time to talk about. Two things I've heard:

* I have not gone to business school, so I don't know the terminology
   here, but right now, Fedora Marketing is largely an afterthought. How
   do we "sell" the thing we just made? But, it could be so much more.
   How can we get more marketing involvement across the project,
   *making* stories, not just making them up? Metrics: more people
   across the project involved in marketing; marketing artifacts
   produced at start of cycles instead of just the end; more press about
   Fedora, etc.

* Internet of things. This has a lot of parts where Fedora can fit:
   Fedora on devices (hello, ARM SIG!), Fedora Workstation as a devel
   platform, Fedora Cloud as backend. Maybe big data, too. We have lots
   of parts, but no strategy. Metrics: production of such a strategy.
   Features/change requests related to IoT, possibly IoT SIG with
   regular meetings...

Discuss. :)

I am not sure if it is the same as the "marketing objective" or not but, I would also like to see someone propose an Objective regarding the "hubs" and the "fedora developers" site. I think both of those projects are happening in (to my mind) weird :) or, perhaps, niche-y parts of Fedora. I think they are both very important to Fedora and I would like to see them be raised to a higher visibility level and I wouldn't mind some coordination between them :).

Langdon