Re: Flock and possible upcoming objectives: marketing upfront; internet of things

On 08/19/2015 08:31 PM, langdon wrote:
I am not sure if it is the same as the "marketing objective" or not but,
I would also like to see someone propose an Objective regarding the
"hubs" and the "fedora developers" site. I think both of those projects
are happening in (to my mind) weird :) or, perhaps, niche-y parts of
Fedora. I think they are both very important to Fedora and I would like
to see them be raised to a higher visibility level and I wouldn't mind
some coordination between them :).

If it's any solace, I'm involved in both - so at least at a UX / strategic level there is thinking about coordination between them.

I do wish they were less niche-y and better known efforts though. We've blogged a lot about hubs (there have been some blogs about developer.fpo but not as much), but it seemed like maybe we need something more.

If you were to step back and sort of extrapolate the important objective(s) for Fedora that they help accomplish... what do you think they'd be? And maybe we push those objectives from the marketing side as those two efforts are the natural answers...

For Fedora Hubs our thinking was:

- Enabling new and more diverse contributors to get involved
- A standard "API" for joining / following Fedora teams' efforts

A step back further from those, stated in terms of an end goal, would be:

** Getting involved in open source projects as a contributor is be easy; your talents are valued even if you're not technical. **

----

For developer.fpo:

- Enable non-Fedora developers to target Fedora as a platform for their apps
- Enable non-Fedora contributing developers to use Fedora as a development platform / workstation - Provide resources for developers already using Fedora as a development platform

And another step back from those, again stated as an end goal, would be:

** Fedora is an awesome development platform, and developing for Fedora is easy. **

~m