Re: [Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

On 17 August 2014 11:58, Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM, Haïkel <hguemar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think that the board shied away from strategic planning
> because it couldn't do much and we don't want to force things upon our
> fellow contributors. By having a council made of doers and leaders, we
> may be able to overcome this hurdle.

This is where I have an issue with the proposed changes. "A council
made of doers and leaders" suggests that the current and past Board
members have not been. That's not a problem with the Board structure,

It is a problem with the Board structure because there have been many people who have been on the board who have tried to do things only to find that the board does not have any 'power' to enact anything.

The Fedora Project is at best an anarchy where things get done by consensus over ordering. The Board can not tell anyone to do anything. It has no budget to pay for developers, it has no control over what the developers do. The Fedora Project is not a 'legal' entity which can handle money, budgets, employees or anything else which can make something get done if the various members do not want to volunteer to do so.

At best the board can persuade people to work in one direction or another for as long as they want to do so. It can also advise Red Hat that they should look at paying developers for things.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.