Re: [Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

On Aug 16, 2014 2:41 PM, "Richard Sewill" <rsewill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do not consider myself a contributor.
>
> I consider myself a user.
>
> If my  comments are out of place or unwelcome, please ignore my comments.
>
> =====
>
> You have multiple audiences.
>
> You have users like me wanting to know how this change will affect me.
>
> I am guessing you have different types of contributors.
> I am guessing you have packagers who package products from upstream.
> I am guessing you have developers who create Fedora unique software.
>
> You have downstream customers.
> Redhat is one downstream customer.
> I am guessing Ubuntu is another downstream customer.
>
> You have ambassadors trying to promote Fedora.
>
> You probably have other types of audiences as well that I can't think
> of right now.
>
> How are your proposed changes going to affect each audience?
>
> =====
>
> I thought the board had three main functions.
>
> I thought the board acted like a judge deciding what would not go into Fedora.

Not really. This is up to the packagers with guidance if needed from FESCO

> I thought the board decided the cutoff date for the next Fedora release,
> and what had to make it into Fedora for that release, and what didn't.

This is done by FESCO

> I am guessing the board does managerial tasks such as handling conflicts.

As a last resort. There are other groups which handle it before then.

> I am guessing another management task is deciding the Fedora name.

In the past yes but Fedora. Next is not going to have names.

> I don't know what else to put in the managerial task function.
>
> Am I wrong in what the board actually does?
>
> =====
>
> I get confused about FESCo's relationship with the board.
> I can look at the wiki and see what FESCo does.
>
> Does FESCo accept packages, but the board decides which release for
> those packages?

The packager decides on the release and fesco can disagree if it causes other problems.