Re: [Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

On 08/15/2014 01:20 PM, Haïkel wrote:
> Dear contributors,
>
> Following the current discussion about governance, a proposal to
> change the governance model of the project has been made during the
> "Governance for Fedora.Next workshop" in Flock Prague 2014. We
> request your feedbacks about before considering its adoption or
> rejection.
>
> * dissolving the current board * the board will be replaced by a
> "community council" (final name to be chosen) * the community
> council will be the main governance body of the Fedora Project,
> its role will be to define a shared vision accross the project and
> the highest decision-making power. That also includes technical
> decisions.

I personally think it is best to have a separate dedicated body for
technical decision making. What would probably be better is have clear
communication channels between the "council" (Fellowship? ;)) and the
technical body (current FESCO). I am only worried that including
technical decisions under the purview of council will make too many
things under roof and might stretch the time needed for the board to
take any decision and might create too much pressure on it.

> * the community council will be composed of representatives and
> advisers best suited to help guide the FPL in achieving the
> project's objectives

The election to the board is a bit unclear to me as it stands here. TO
me it looked like there was more than one proposal regarding election
or nomination to the board.

> * community council members should be leaders and doers whom will
> be able to drive and advocate the changes by the FPL for most
> efficiency. * community council members will serve until either
> they or the FPL feel that they should leave their seat to someone
> else according the project agenda.

Personally, I think both these points, as they are spelt out now, are
too vague. It might be best to spell out "requirements" (not rigid, of
course) (On the other hand, I do not know if it's needed).

Second, is "serve until they or FPL feel" way to go? The discussion on
this was interesting (reference to debian TC is an important one, I
think). I agree one year is too short. But, it might be best to have a
fixed time period, say three or five years - which is quite a good
length of time, I feel.

My two cents! :)

- --
GPG key-ID: 00E8658D