Re: [Request for Comments] Governance change for Fedora Project

On Sun, Aug 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM, Ben Cotton <bcotton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Aug 17, 2014 5:01 AM, "Haïkel" <hguemar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, FESCo is the actual technical leadership body, it functions but
>> sometimes, it had to take decisions that has technical/legal/ethical
>> issues requiring the board to step in.
>> That's what is preventing Fedora to have a proper strategic vision and
>> implementing it.
>>
> This is what I'm having a hard time understanding. My reading of the above
> is that the existence of FESCo prevents the Board from making strategic
> decisions (the alternate view, that the existence of the board prevents
> FESCo from making strategic decisions, runs counter to what you say later in
> your response so I discount it). If FESCo's existence is the problem, why
> doesn't the proposal dissolve FESCo? If FESCo's existence isn't the problem,
> then what does the quoted paragraph mean?

I really don't understand this either. FESCo from time to time asks
the Board for guidance especially when proposals fall near the edges
of Fedora's core values. I don't really see how that has any direct
connection to strategic vision. And I don't see any reason to think
they won't still have the same sorts of questions in the future.

John