Re: fedora-it community site on Ubuntu server

On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 08:35 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

> Seriously: As first step, I usually try to slim down server
> installations to the "absolutely required minimum" - This alone keeps
> off a lot of the churn and of the potential breakage.
>
> Also, I don't "automatically install updates", but am installing them
> during "manual maintenance". I am experiencing occasional issues with
> updates, but am rarely experiencing serious ones.

Agreed on both of those. That is the only way to keep sane.

> Admitted, the 6 months re-installs are annoying, but the 3-4 years
> release-cycle of RHEL is the other extreme end.
> That said, I can relate to people who are neither choosing Fedora nor
> RHEL, because Fedora/RH doesn't offer a middle-ground.

the middle ground has been discussed many times before. 18-24 months
would be a good spot to have for a release lifespan and less pkg churn -
possibly even less pkg selection.

But I'll give you long odds on the likelihood of that happening.

-sv