Re: fedora-it community site on Ubuntu server

On 01/11/2011 08:21 AM, Jon Masters wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-01-11 at 08:03 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>> As long as the lifecycle is as short as it is, it is not going to be
>>> suitable for very many servers.
>> Why? As long as updates work smoothly, all that is required to keep a
>> server alive is an occasional reboot after updates.
>
> Without meaning to upset that apple cart too much...the reality (on
> servers, such as mine at home) is that updates don't always work
> smoothly,
This isn't restricted to servers, but affects clients, too.

> there are far too many of them, and the churn is high.
Makes me wonder how I manage to keep my servers alive ;)

Seriously: As first step, I usually try to slim down server
installations to the "absolutely required minimum" - This alone keeps
off a lot of the churn and of the potential breakage.

Also, I don't "automatically install updates", but am installing them
during "manual maintenance". I am experiencing occasional issues with
updates, but am rarely experiencing serious ones.

All in all, in reality, the updates aren't much of a problem.

> The
> Server SIG is a nice idea, but at the moment it's not practical to run
> Fedora on a server. I'd like to use it for my own personal stuff,
I do so.

> but I
> need something that is going to last a couple of years, with only
> occasional syncing of security fixes,  not 6-12 month re-installs.
OK, your use-case seems to be different from mine ;)

Admitted, the 6 months re-installs are annoying, but the 3-4 years
release-cycle of RHEL is the other extreme end.
That said, I can relate to people who are neither choosing Fedora nor
RHEL, because Fedora/RH doesn't offer a middle-ground.

Ralf