Re: Bad-mouthing and hostility

On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 07:55:26AM -0800, Darren VanBuren wrote:
> These emails are quite discouraging on packaging my software, which
> fits into this category of unpopular software. I don't think the
> intention is to discourage packagers, especially new packagers. I
> would hope not at least.

This presents an interesting case for a community team not like our
package reviewers.  I would hazard a guess that when someone fixes
what I tend to call "edge" packages -- and I have a few of these
myself -- they tend to have bug reports concerning that fix.  So
creating a small test plan should be pretty easy.  If the new
package fixes the observed problem, and the actual code change is
pretty much constrained to the fix, then anyone participating in such
a team could test the fix.

I did this the other day using Till Maas' new karma script, although I
didn't have time to hit every package I was consuming from
updates-testing.  Took me about 10-15 minutes to participate and give
about 6-8 packages appropriate karma after testing what they said they
fixed.

Although we shouldn't have a goal of "include as much software as
possible," we also shouldn't discourage new, well-maintained software.