Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Bill Nottingham wrote:

Jesse Keating (jkeating@xxxxxxxxxx) said:
I'd agree here. I think I'm like many people here - I don't necessarily
have the ability to make good design, but I can recognize bad ones. A
non-trivial amount of software (that we ship, even!) falls into the bad
category, and it's because there wasn't much thought given to the design
when it was created (whether it's user interface, admin interface, or
even API design.)

Doesn't this kind of thing only work where we're the upstream, or we
have direct heavy influence on the upstream?  How useful is pointing out
terrible UI on software where we're just the packager, and upstream
doesn't agree with us?  We're no longer a community of producers, a
large part of our contributors are just consuming upstream and putting
it in Fedora.

We make the decisions about what the defaults are, and what software is
or isn't included in in a particular spin, or promoted in the docs, etc.
It's not much of a carrot, but it can be used tha tway.

and, in the case of the g-p-m example Mo offered, our default is the problem?

-sv