Re: "What is the Fedora Project?"

I wanted to point out another view on this topic, from a technical user who uses not only Fedora but other Linux distros. She messaged me off-list and asked me to present her point-of-view, and my summary of that is what follows:

- She has been using Linux for over 11 years and works on a security product that involves securing multiple Linux distributions - SuSE, Fedora, Debian, Mandriva, etc.

- Fedora had been the favored Linux distro for both her and many of her prominent customers, including well-known government and military agencies. Up until FC6. Over the past two years, distros such as CentOS, SuSe, Ubuntu, Scientific Linux, and Oracle Linux are showing greater stability and thus customer interest has shifted away from Fedora.

- Fedora "was cutting edge, yet reasonably stable and easy to use." Now it is too unstable. Some complaints about recent Fedora releases she has heard from clients, "antagonistic upgrades and an increasing lack of stability."

- The clients she refers to are highly-technical users, running advanced scientific projects and in some cases military operations. They're not highly technical in terms of being intimately familiar with the inner workings of Linux, they're highly technical in their domains which are complex. They have PhDs in meterology or advanced medical and aeronautics degrees. And they want the distro they work with to just work - they can't deal with the instability we've introduced over the past two years and have started going elsewhere. The suggestion elsewhere in the thread that one should be required to have a 'drivers license' to run a distro she related to requiring a kernel hacker to interpret the results of a medical exam - a highly technical person just not in their field of expertise.

One particular quote she gave me that I'd like to share:

"Fedora boasts of an "innovation" target audience but is falling down in the two areas real world (excepting perhaps games and CGI) high-innovation users demand: stable upgrades and consistent usability. I believe if your group can wrestle these back under control the distro numbers would increase dramatically."

In summary, having technical users as a target isn't a good excuse for instability and complexity.

~m