Re: Stabilize anaconda development earlier in the cycle.

On Tue, Oct 08, 2013 at 10:29:36AM -0400, Chris Lumens wrote:
> > Now given that Anaconda is one of our larger time consumer in QA it
> > will requires us to stabilize anaconda development earlier in the
> > cycle and be completely done at branch time or alpha so we can
> > dedicate the remaining time of the development cycle to try to cover
> > the "products" as well as any test days and other QA related
> > activities.
> So, where does development for Fedora X take place under this plan?

Where X is "the current release"? I think the picture would be that
developkment happens in Rawhide, continously, and the development for "X"
would happen before the branch, followed by stabilization and bugfixes only.
Maybe with some big patches pulled across between alpha and beta, if planned
for as part of the change process.

Now that the major rewrite is in place, this seems pretty reasonable to me
from an _outside_  point of view. What problems do you see from the more
familiar-with-the-workings perspective? Are there things we could do to make
those problems less problematic? (For example, guaranteeing that Rawhide is
always consistent.)

I think in general (not just anaconda) we _don't_ want development happening
on "X". That process should be about stabilization and qa. This has
traditionally been hard because Rawhide is too raw, but we have efforts
underway to make it less so, and if that solves non-theoretical problems we
can push harder on those efforts.

--
Matthew Miller  ☁☁☁  Fedora Cloud Architect  ☁☁☁  <mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>