Re: Stabilize anaconda development earlier in the cycle.

On 10/08/2013 03:22 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
>So, where does development for Fedora X take place under this plan?
Where X is "the current release"? I think the picture would be that
developkment happens in Rawhide, continously, and the development for "X"
would happen before the branch, followed by stabilization and bugfixes only.
Maybe with some big patches pulled across between alpha and beta, if planned
for as part of the change process.

Anaconda needs to be fully developed at branch time which means as you correctly point out it will be developed on top of F20 for F21 and be ready when F21 would get branched.

Which makes us and Anaconda team essentially deal only with bugs being related to the components Anaconda runs on top of during alpha/beta/final and or comps.

Now that the major rewrite is in place, this seems pretty reasonable to me
from an_outside_   point of view. What problems do you see from the more
familiar-with-the-workings perspective? Are there things we could do to make
those problems less problematic? (For example, guaranteeing that Rawhide is
always consistent.)

How are you going about guaranteeing rawhide is always consistent given different focus and moving parts?

I think in general (not just anaconda) we_don't_  want development happening
on "X". That process should be about stabilization and qa. This has
traditionally been hard because Rawhide is too raw, but we have efforts
underway to make it less so, and if that solves non-theoretical problems we
can push harder on those efforts.

Which efforts are those?

JBG