Re: Stabilize anaconda development earlier in the cycle.

On 10/08/2013 02:29 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
Now given that Anaconda is one of our larger time consumer in QA it
will requires us to stabilize anaconda development earlier in the
cycle and be completely done at branch time or alpha so we can
dedicate the remaining time of the development cycle to try to cover
the "products" as well as any test days and other QA related
activities.
So, where does development for Fedora X take place under this plan?

This means that Anaconda would need to be "ready" when X get's branched or at Alpha in other words Anaconda development cycle would end up being on it's own release cycle as in not aligned with the rest. (which I'm guessing you are concerned about being x release(s) behind on the components that make up Anaconda ).

I'm working on a counter proposal to the three product proposal which I dub "FedoraOS" which involves all the core/baseOS components being release,tested and updated as an single product which would be on it's own faster rolling release/update cycle ( tied to the kernel release cycle as in 3 kernel release == three FedoraOS release ) and it being the only "product" that the service sub community have primary focus on and Anaconda could be tied to it's release cycle.

However I'm stilling working on that proposal and most likely it will get killed in birth or shot on sight due to certain company's focus on the three product proposal.

Now the 3 product proposal expect us in QA to somehow magically have the resources available to handle all those release blocking products ( while my proposal ends up giving more time and focus with existing manpower ) and quite frankly the only way I see us managing to cover them all is to have Anaconda on an alternative development release cycle then those products end up being on.

If you ( or anybody ) have good or great ideas how we might be able to manage to cover all those soon to be release blocking products without having to alter Anaconda's development cycle I'm all ears.
( requesting additional manpower from RH is not an option ).

JBG