Re: Crazy custom part UI idea

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:50:54AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 11:29 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> > On Nov 27, 2012, at 2:39 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >  kind of thinking the opposite - we don't have _enough_
> > > text. I'm no design expert so I don't know if it's considered 'old
> > > fashioned' or 'undiscoverable' to have a simple line or two explaining
> > > how a screen actually works
> >
> > The instant you need text to explain how a GUI works, your GUI is a failure.

> Still, I don't want to veer off into the theoreticals too much as it'd
> be getting off track and I'd be bringing the metaphorical knife to a gun
> fight. If your dictum is the one the newUI design is being done by, then
> great: we don't need more text, but we _do_ need to make the design more
> discoverable somehow, because it demonstrably isn't entirely so right
> now.

The design is discoverable, but I think the problem is that after so
many years of bottom-up construction they are confused by the new way of
thinking about things.

When you do complex operations do you just dive right in? Or do you try
to learn how to use it first? It isn't always possible to make complex
things intuitive. I think that much of this could be fixed by
documentation and glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a
paragraph for each one.