Re: Crazy custom part UI idea

On Nov 23, 2012, at 7:26 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-11-14 at 18:15 -0500, Chris Lumens wrote:
>>> So this is probably just the lack of sleep talking, but I notice a
>>> pattern in the comments about newUI is that people really aren't
>>> confident about which partitions exactly form part of the install, in
>>> newUI custom part
>>
>> Can you provide a little more detail here?  Is there confusion over the
>> very concept, or over what's new and what's old, etc.?
>
> What I've seen on the forums is that people just don't quite get the
> concept of the custom part screen - that you have partitions down the
> left, including existing partitions and newly created ones, and that the
> workflow is to create a partition and then define its properties and
> assign it to a disk and so on.

Oldui partitioning visually took up more than 1/2 of the screen, and this same information is compressed into 10% of my screen while not conveying the resulting partitioning.

Oldui's modal dialog containing the details of each partition (file system, size, label) was 10% of the screen real estate, and is now greater than 50% and no longer modal.

The result is a shift of available space, and hence emphasis, on details rather than big picture. And I think it's increasingly clear that most users need more big picture, than a huge amount of estate reserved for details. Also, newui is becoming increasingly wordy, with excessive amounts of text to explain things, which again emphasizes detail over big picture.

Chris Murphy