Re: Crazy custom part UI idea

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 11:58 -0800, Brian C. Lane wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 10:50:54AM -0800, Adam Williamson wrote:
> > >
> > > The instant you need text to explain how a GUI works, your GUI is a failure.
>
> > Still, I don't want to veer off into the theoreticals too much as it'd
> > be getting off track and I'd be bringing the metaphorical knife to a gun
> > fight. If your dictum is the one the newUI design is being done by, then
> > great: we don't need more text, but we _do_ need to make the design more
> > discoverable somehow, because it demonstrably isn't entirely so right
> > now.
>
> The design is discoverable, but I think the problem is that after so
> many years of bottom-up construction they are confused by the new way of
> thinking about things.
>
> When you do complex operations do you just dive right in? Or do you try
> to learn how to use it first? It isn't always possible to make complex
> things intuitive. I think that much of this could be fixed by
> documentation and glossy photographs with circles and arrows and a
> paragraph for each one.

Right, that is my inclination too and hence my initial mail suggesting
MOAR TEXT, but I'm willing to recognize you and I may be the aberrations
and other people just buy a chainsaw, throw away the manual, point it at
a tree and start poking buttons :) Whether we aim to document the
approach and rely on people reading the instructions, try and clarify
the approach through UI, or do both, I don't mind.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey