Re: Crazy custom part UI idea

On Tue, 2012-11-27 at 11:29 -0700, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2012, at 2:39 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  kind of thinking the opposite - we don't have _enough_
> > text. I'm no design expert so I don't know if it's considered 'old
> > fashioned' or 'undiscoverable' to have a simple line or two explaining
> > how a screen actually works
>
> The instant you need text to explain how a GUI works, your GUI is a failure.

Like I said, I am not a design expert and I'm not familiar enough with
the state of such arguments to participate. I've noticed this is a
definite trend in all modern software design, but I do not know if it's
a universal constant which can be stated with such authority, especially
as it relates to complex operations.

My layman's understanding would be that you can make a relatively simple
operation / set of operations more or less entirely intuitively
discoverable, or you can make a complex set of operations intuitive
_gradually_, by introducing a single element at a time (my silly example
of this would be that Nintendo are great at doing it as a part of game
design - you start off learning to jump and suddenly ten hours later
you're riding a horse and simultaneously shooting things out of the air
with a zoomable bow-and-arrow interface, or something). But I cannot
right now think of an example of a GUI which makes a complex set of
operations entirely intuitively discoverable when that operation is to
be performed in a single go - which is what the custom partitioning
screen does. Does software like, say, an office suite (used at an
advanced level, not just a 'type this on the screen and print it'
level), an advanced image editor, or an advanced video editor follow
this dictum? If not, is that a function of bad design or an
inevitability given the complexity of the tasks they handle?

Still, I don't want to veer off into the theoreticals too much as it'd
be getting off track and I'd be bringing the metaphorical knife to a gun
fight. If your dictum is the one the newUI design is being done by, then
great: we don't need more text, but we _do_ need to make the design more
discoverable somehow, because it demonstrably isn't entirely so right
now.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey