Re: Key installer functionality for F18: rescue mode, text/serial console mode

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 15:56 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:

> > I think we can probably do rescue mode, we just need to look at it and
> > it won't be for alpha.
>
> This however is something that worries me more.

Can you explain in more detail your concerns about rescue mode? It might
help the discussion. A key perspective on rescue mode is that it
doesn't, in an ultimate analysis, _do_ very much: basically it brings up
the network, mounts the installed system partitions, and gives you a
shell. Simple dracut 'rd.break' mode gives you two out of three already
(a rescue shell and the installed system partitions mounted). One angle
there is that it should actually be fairly trivial to implement a newUI
and/or dracut-based 'rescue mode' replacement, but another angle is that
losing rescue mode isn't really all that terrible; it sounds impressive,
but it really does comparatively little and there are all sorts of ways
to essentially achieve the same thing (boot a live image, whether a
Fedora one or a rescue-specific live image; boot to anaconda and use the
VT it presents; use rd.break on the 'broken' installation...)

So it would help to direct the discussion if those who are worried about
losing rescue mode define more precisely exactly what they feel we lose
by dropping it. That'll help us in determining exactly what is needed to
compensate for it.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey