Re: Key installer functionality for F18: rescue mode, text/serial console mode

On 08/01/2012 03:01 PM, Chris Lumens wrote:
on text install: apparently it's now the plan that a basic text mode
>will be included in f18 and may even make Alpha. As long as that's a
>commitment then that should work out fine and is no longer a worry.
The alpha change deadline is August 14, so I can't really see that
happening.  Even more critically, the string freeze deadline is the same
day.

I'm not willing to commit to that, no matter how hard Martin and Jesse
work.  I just don't think there's enough time.  I suppose beta is
possible given it being a month later, but then people are just going to
complain about major things being done after the feature freeze.

>on rescue mode: we would like to see a roughly functional equivalent
>replacement for rescue mode present in f18, with considerable
>flexibility as to the exact form.
I don't think rescue mode is too difficult to do.  We've just not worked
on it, barely talked about it, and not put anyone on the task.  It's not
alpha criteria so I haven't been especially worried about it.

>If anaconda team can commit to a rescue mode replacement for f18 final
>at least, that'd be great. thanks. Also, if anyone's aware of any other
>major functionality that might go away with newUI - besides what's
>already been discussed or called out on the feature page - please let us
>know. thanks!
Advanced storage filtering's not going to be there for F18 either.

Given the lack of text/rescue mode and other feature is it not best to delay the "newUI" anaconda til F19 and fallback on using F17's anaconda instead of presenting our user base with half finished product at best?

JBG