Re: Schiit USB audio dac

Rita, List,

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 5:01 AM, Rita <rmorgan466@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Good news. I moved the USB from front of PC to back of PC and I don't get
> flapping. I am using VLC which I select the audio device and I get no flaps
> whatsoever.

This is great news.  Debugging hardware is the worst!  I'm glad it
wasn't your Schiit.

> My PC is a HPAMD 64bit.  It does not have external hub. My USB keyboard is
> still attached :-)
> Running :
> kernel, 3.11.0-19-generic.
> alsa-base(1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu4)
> VLC media player 2.0.8 Twoflower (revision 2.0.8a-0-g68cf50b)
>
> I am still playing music from a different HDisk partition (ext3).

As long as it works!

> BTW, pulse audio is running on my distribution. I hope thats not down
> sampling my wavs.

A few thoughts for you.

You might want to turn your .wav files into .flac files.  Uses less
space, accomodates tags, etc.  No loss of quality though I have read
claims that .wav files sound better (not going there myself).

Also, if you want all your sound to go through the Schiit you probably
want pulse to control it.  As far as I know (anyone reading this who
knows better please correct me), pulse picks one target output
resolution and resamples everything to that.   So if your use is
mostly 44.1kHz/16bit, then you should set pulse to use that as its
output so that your music doesn't get resampled.

If you are like me, and you have a bunch of files at varying rates and
bit depths, then you probably don't want to use pulse; you probably
want a music player to talk right through to Alsa.

I am not sure about getting pulse and a music player to share the same
device; I guess you just have to try.

It may be possible to use pure Alsa with mixer enabled and push pulse
out of the way; if you want that, I guess you just have to try!

Whatever you learn, please consider writing about your findings back
on this list so that others can learn from your experience!

Good luck

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.