Re: No sound from DAC in Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (USB)

On 10/26/2013 09:49 PM, Peter Bašista wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM, Daniel Mack <zonque@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 10/26/2013 09:42 PM, Peter Bašista wrote:
>>> You have asked whether this DAC works well in some other OS without
>>> some special drivers. The answer is, to the best of my knowledge, no.
>>> I have only tried that DAC on friend's laptop with Windows Vista and
>>> it did not work (same issue - silence). And since there are no special
>>> drivers (the website states that it should work out of the box on
>>> Windows and Mac OS X... ) we have given up trying.
>>
>> What tells you that the hardware works at all then?
>
> Nothing. I am just assuming that a brand new device would be working.
> I did not have time to test it anywhere else yet. It is just a few
> days that I have it.

> Oh, okay... no matter. I will look into the usbmon.

I don't think it worth it really. If the vendor claims the hardware will
work without the installation of additional drivers, and precisely that
fails on Vista, while on Linux it doesn't work either, the hardware is
most probably toast. It's not that such things don't happen. In fact, a
DOA (dead on arrival) condition is much more likely than a device that
will just stop working from one day to another.

Daniel