Re: No sound from DAC in Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (USB)

Hi,

On 10/26/2013 08:45 PM, Peter Bašista wrote:
> $ cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0
> Texas Instruments MATRIX AUDIO at usb-0000:03:00.0-1, full speed : USB Audio
>
> Playback:
>   Interface 1
>     Altset 1
>     Format: S24_3LE
>     Channels: 2
>     Endpoint: 1 OUT (ADAPTIVE)
>     Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000
>
> Outputs from aplay -L and lsusb -v are attached.
>
> The problem is that I can not get any sound, not even bad quality /
> cracking / noise from this device when its input source is set to the
> DAC. And there is not much error or warning messages anywhere that I
> have looked (dmesg, /var/log/syslog, /var/log/kern.log). Everything
> seems to be working perfectly (except for one unclear message in the log
> - described below). Yet, I still get no sound.
>
> I am using the newest Ubuntu

Which kernel is that? ('uname -a')

> $ aplay -D hw:1 sample.wav
> Playing WAVE 'sample.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in 3bytes, Rate
> 44100 Hz, Stereo

And that wav in fact contains 24-bit samples? You can use "-D plughw:1"
and a 16-bit wave file as well.

> kernel: [ 7067.190242] 2:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x1

That's just a warning about a firmware bug that shouldn't cause problems.

> $ aplay -D hw:1 sample3.wav
> Playing WAVE 'sample3.wav' : Signed 32 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
> Stereo
> aplay: set_params:1233: Sample format non available
> Available formats:
> - S24_3LE
>
> That was expected, because this DAC only supports the above mentioned
> sample format. However, I would expect aplay to try and convert sample
> formats by default ... Anyway ... that does not matter here.

It does, with the "plughw" output method. "hw" does not do any
conversion for you.

> What matters is that I do not know what to do next. From the software
> point of view, almost everything seems to be working perfectly. But
> there is no sound, ... so something must be wrong.

What about mixers? What does 'amixer -c hw:1' show?

> I have been thinking about debugging the usb communication somehow. It
> would be worth trying to set various parameters / frame sizes / timings
> / etc ... and see what has changed ... But I do not know much about that
> - I do not even know where to start. So, I have decided to try to ask here.

You can use the usbmon framework for that:

  https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt

Best regards,
Daniel