Re: No sound from DAC in Matrix M-Stage HPA-1 (USB)

Hi Daniel,

that was quick, thank you for a response! And sorry for attachments, I
just now realized that maybe it is not a good idea to include them.

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Daniel Mack <zonque@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I am using the newest Ubuntu
>
> Which kernel is that? ('uname -a')
Linux peter-P55A-UD4 3.11.0-12-generic #19-Ubuntu SMP Wed Oct 9
16:20:46 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>> $ aplay -D hw:1 sample.wav
>> Playing WAVE 'sample.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in 3bytes, Rate
>> 44100 Hz, Stereo
>
> And that wav in fact contains 24-bit samples? You can use "-D plughw:1"
> and a 16-bit wave file as well.
Yes, that wav file contains 24 bit samples. I know I can use plughw
and other sample formats, but I wanted to be as close to directly
"streaming" to the device as possible.
>> kernel: [ 7067.190242] 2:1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x1
>
> That's just a warning about a firmware bug that shouldn't cause problems.
Ah, okay.
>> $ aplay -D hw:1 sample3.wav
>> Playing WAVE 'sample3.wav' : Signed 32 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
>> Stereo
>> aplay: set_params:1233: Sample format non available
>> Available formats:
>> - S24_3LE
>>
>> That was expected, because this DAC only supports the above mentioned
>> sample format. However, I would expect aplay to try and convert sample
>> formats by default ... Anyway ... that does not matter here.
>
> It does, with the "plughw" output method. "hw" does not do any
> conversion for you.
Oh, all right, now I understand... Noted and thank you for pointing that out.

>> What matters is that I do not know what to do next. From the software
>> point of view, almost everything seems to be working perfectly. But
>> there is no sound, ... so something must be wrong.
>
> What about mixers? What does 'amixer -c hw:1' show?
I am not sure which command you wanted to see the output from, but
here is something:
$ amixer -c1 contents
numid=1,iface=PCM,name='Playback Channel Map'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=r----R--,values=2,min=0,max=36,step=0
  : values=0,0
  |     | unk-257-0x00000003,0x00000004,

>> I have been thinking about debugging the usb communication somehow. It
>> would be worth trying to set various parameters / frame sizes / timings
>> / etc ... and see what has changed ... But I do not know much about that
>> - I do not even know where to start. So, I have decided to try to ask here.
>
> You can use the usbmon framework for that:
Thank you - I will look into that.

In the meantime ... any other ideas?

Regards
Peter