Re: install problem

> Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 06:14:12 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: Joe Armstrong <joearms@xxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On Sat, 4 May 2013, Joe Armstrong wrote:

> >> Try logging on as root
> >> su -
> >>
> >> rather than doing sudo.
> >
> > Same thing happens
> >
> > root@nuc:~# aplay -vv  sound.wav
> > Home directory not accessible: Permission denied
> > ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:1018:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
> > aplay: main:682: audio open error: No such file or directory
> >
> > I suppose the next thing to do is recompile asla from the sources ...
>
> Or look at the source of aplay and put in some debugging commands so that you
> know which file it is referring to when it says "no such file or directory" or
> which Home directory is not accessible.
> Is your home directory nfs mounted or something?
> The audio open error seems to be from "snd_pcm_open"
> Also try
> -Dhw:0
> or
> -Dplughw:0
> as an argument for aplay so it does not just use the default.
> (assuming that the card you want to use is card 0)

You could put "strace -o somefile " at the front of the command
to see what system call is triggering the error message.  If the
correlation isn't clear, omit the -o and its argument and tee
both stdout and stderr from the aplay command to a file.  Or,
run the "strace aplay ..." command from inside 'script'.

HTH

Robert Riches