ATI HDMI not working

I can't get my HDMI sound to work. At one point I did get a tone out of
it from gnome-sound-properties' Test but I couldn't get anything else to
use it, and eventually even the gnome capplet stopped being able to use
it.

I've got an Asus M3A78-EMH HDMI motherboard with AMD 780G/SB700 chipset.
The "ordinary" on-board sound uses the Realtek ALC883 codec and the HDMI
uses an "Azalia" controller, but "Azalia" just seems to be a generic
term for Intel-style HD audio? I'm using Debian unstable with alsa-base
1.0.17 and a self-compiled 2.6.27.6 kernel. I also tried an Ubuntu 8.10
LiveCD but I didn't get any HDMI audio with that either.

The position I'm at now is that I've disabled the ALC883 in the BIOS to
try to reduce complication. I've configured my kernel with the "Intel HD
Audio" module using Realtek, ATI HDMI and generic HD codecs.

One thing that's been consistent all along is that when I try to use the
Gnome volume control on this device it's completely blank.  alsamixergui
has a single volume control but it's fixed at 0 and can't be changed. I
can click the speaker symbols above it on and off and at about the time
when I did get a tone from it I also heard a popping noise when I turned
this on. Does the lack of a volume control make sense because HDMI audio
is digital?

Here are the outputs of some commands which may help point to the
problem:

$ aplay -l
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

$ aplay -L
default:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
surround41:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
surround50:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
surround51:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
surround71:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
iec958:CARD=HDMI
    HDA ATI HDMI
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null

$ aplay -v /usr/lib/openoffice/share/gallery/sounds/romans.wav
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
aplay: main:564: audio open error: No such file or directory

MPlayer actually produces a little more info:

[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_hw.c:1132:(snd_pcm_hw_open) open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p failed: No such file or directory
[AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: No such file or directory

/dev/snd/pcmC0D0p doesn't exist, but there is a /dev/snd/pcmC0D3p.

I've repeatedly tried running alsaconf, but that doesn't help. I don't
have any ~/.asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf. There is a
/var/lib/alsa/asound.state but it only has data for "state.SB" which
must have got there when the other sound device was enabled, because
that was labelled SB.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk