Re: No recording from Xonar D2X

Clemens, Werner, list;

On Sun, Apr 7, 2013 at 4:53 AM, Clemens Ladisch <cladisch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> chris hermansen wrote:
>> [...]
>> Based on the above, if I were going to rip some vinyl through this
>> sound card, I would connect the phono pre-amp to the Aux jack.
>
> The Aux input goes through a very crappy analog mixer (a CM9780).

Ewwwwwww! That sounds like it should be avoided.  I wasn't able to
find a datashet on it but I will take your word for it.

>> I understand what you are trying to do.  For sure you want the
>> incoming analogue signal to be at a high enough level before you
>> convert it to digital
>
> This is a good idea in general, but on the Xonars, the line input
> bypasses the CMI9780 (this is why there is no hardware volume control),
> so you get better quality by using line-in and then doing amplification
> on the digital recording.

Depending on Werner's analogue - side equipment, there may be an option like:

phono pre-amp -> receiver -> pre-amp output -> Xonar line in

that offers some more analogue gain. Or maybe a higher-gain phono pre-amp.

This site http://www.kabusa.com/pregain.htm offers some useful pointers.

This has me curious.  Sometime this week I think I'll run my tape
outputs to my DX and see what that's like.

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.