Re: Problem with Nvidia HDMI

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 1:43 PM, Igor Gueths <igueths@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Mi apologies, I'm late to this thread, although I think I understand now; the
> goal being to get HDMI audio output working, and nothing else for the moment.
> Searching around doesn't seem to indicate that anyone has HDMI audio working
> with their ION boards unfortunately. Although, as far as I know, most NVidia
> boards do not include a standalone audio controller for HDMI out; I cannot seem
> to figure out if this is the case with ION or not. If it is, great; odds are
> that the latest NV HDMI codec driver will support the controller. If not, the
> next best option would be to figure out what audio chip is being used (likely in
> this case ALC888), and assume that HDMI audio is provided via an S/PDIF header.
> Jose, have you tested each of the subdevices individually with MPlayer, to see
> if any of them produce any output?

I've had HDMI audio working on my ION  for quite some time now as
mentioned in my first reply.  There's actually a lot of texts on the
net about it, not sure why your searches came up empty.  Btw, you
don't use an SPDIF header with ION as you would for some Nvidia video
cards (like an 8400gs for example).  ION has an own audio controller
and has worked with alsa drivers for a while, but the Debian package
maintainers haven't bothered to update the Debian packages -- which
seems bad since a lot of users have ION now.