Re: Problem with Nvidia HDMI

Hello.
On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:25:36AM +0200, José Luis Segura Lucas wrote:
> El 28 de julio de 2010 23:26, VDR User <user.vdr@xxxxxxxxx> escribió:
>
> > Ok, glad it's working now.  I had to create an /etc/asound.conf on my
> > system but maybe you don't need one.  Please report back after you
> > tried playing some medias.
> >

> Well, I think you are right (again!) :D I tried to play something on that
> computer and I can't hear anything. I would create the /etc/asound.conf like
> you. Some advice?
>
> I look at volume controls of Gnome and I can see, on the HDA Nvidia card,
> only 4 switches, all of them labeled as IEC958 and a number...

In previously posted output (most likely before you rebuilt your ALsa drivers
from a snapshot), your aplay -l output included reference to an ALC888 chip
present on your card. However, your latest aplay output references
"hda-generic"; this is the first sign of an entirely new problem. Given that
hda-generic is a generic codec used for testing/debugging purposes, it is almost
as if the newly built driver is not detecting your card at all. Mv any files out
of /etc/modprobe.d or any /etc/modules.conf entries referencing Alsa, and
modprobe -r snd-hda-intel then reload it with no options. Once this is done, can
you post Dmesg output? Failing that, and assuming that you had working sound
with your old drivers, check the kernel documentation, specifically
HD-Audio-Models.txt for the most accurate description of your card under the
ALC882/883/885/888 section.
> --
> believed to be clean.

Igor