Re: SOLVED M-Audio Fast Track ULTRA vs Alsa

2010/4/20 Felix Homann <fexpop@xxxxxx>:
> Hmm, how many ports should you have on a Fast Track Ultra (w/o 8R)?

8 inputs, 8 outputs. As far as I know the 8R has 8 pre-amplified
inputs, while the Ultra's pre-amplified ones are only 4.

I discovered one more thing: if I use plughw:2 instead of hw:2 I can
play sounds even without the asoundrc, but I have only two
inputs/outputs and capture does not work (like asoundrc's ftrack pcm).
If I start jackd using plughw:2 (or asoundrc's ftrack pcm) for
playback and hw:2 for capture I have working recording and playback,
but only 2 outputs (but 8 inputs). I don't know what's plughw...

Also:
niko@laptop ~ $ aplay -D hw:2 -f S24_3LE -c 1 -r96000 mono_s243_le.wav
Playing WAVE 'mono_s243_le.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in
3bytes, Rate 96000 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:1059: Channels count non available
niko@laptop ~ $ aplay -D hw:2 -f S24_3LE -c 2 -r96000 stereo_s243_le.wav
Playing WAVE 'stereo_s243_le.wav' : Signed 24 bit Little Endian in
3bytes, Rate 96000 Hz, Stereo
aplay: set_params:1059: Channels count non available
What's that!?

One more question: I have some inputs (guitar, voice, drums...) which
I need to record (I can easily do it with ardour2) *AND* to route to
one output (which I can easily do with qjackctl 'connect' tab). I
obviously want to record each instrument with the maximum gain which
does not clip (I can do it with the pre-amplifiers), but I want to
choose the volume for each input I route to the output (and then to
the speakers). For example the voice have to have a higher gain than
the drums etc... How can I do it?

Thank you,
Darkbasic