Re: Higher quality dmix resampling

>> defaults.pcm.rate_converter "speexrate_best"
>>
>> in /etc/asound.conf and I restarted alsa, but I still have the static problem.
>
> what do you have in your ~/.asoundrc ?
>
> usually that's the "best" place to put your customizations.
>
> (BTW: in Debian /etc/asound.conf does not even exists...
> are you sure your distribution is setup to use that file?)

I'm using Gentoo and I know /etc/asound.conf works because defining
dmix's sample rate there lights up the corresponding LED on the USB
DAC.  I tried moving the config to ~/.asoundrc with no change.

> Nevertheless, I guess these "static" problem is not related
> to the resample algorithm you are using - unless the problem
> is related to insufficient system resources. What CPU do you
> have?

I'm using an AMD64 Athlon 3.1ghz CPU.  When I bypass dmix in mpd there
is no static, and when I don't there is static, so I don't think it's
performance related.

> I say this 'cause e.g. with my old laptop (PIIIM 1.2GHz)
> basically I could not use anything better than the default.
> Trying just about any other algorithm caused problems such
> as underruns, skips, errors, etc.
>
> Assuming this is not your case, your "static" problem may
> be due to inappropriate sample rate and/or format of the
> data sent to the sound card. Are you sure that e.g. you are
> not trying to feed a 44.1KHz stream to a card which supports
> only 48KHz ?

I'm sure.  I've lit up all 4 frequency LEDs on the DAC and they all
have static when dmix is involved.

I still think the static problem is due to dmix's default resampling
algorithm.  I haven't seen any evidence that my
defaults.pcm.rate_converter is being obeyed.  With it set to
"samplerate_best" I get the same 'lsof|grep aplay' output I posted
before.  There is no mention of libsamplerate or speex and there is
static in the sound produced by aplay.

- Grant