Re: Higher quality dmix resampling

On Thursday 14 May 2009, Grant wrote:

> > Nevertheless, I guess these "static" problem is not related
> > to the resample algorithm you are using - unless the problem
> > is related to insufficient system resources. What CPU do you
> > have?
>
> I'm using an AMD64 Athlon 3.1ghz CPU.

that one should have more than enough horsepower... (well,
at least it is unless you're decoding some 1080p stream at
the same time... 8:-)

I was wondering if you were using some low-power/embedded
system or the like. Clearly this is not the case.

> When I bypass dmix in mpd there is no static, and when I don't
> there is static, so I don't think it's performance related.

surely it's not.

(stupid question: do you really need dmix?  8-)

Again, what if you play directly to "plughw:x,y" with both
/etc/asound.conf and ~/.asoundrc empty?

Oh, one more thing... it might be that the problem is that
you are resampling in the "wrong place".

I remember I've got a problem *possibly* similar to your
one (at least I've also got something similar to "static"
like noise) when I tried to "duplicate" my output stream
and send it to two different devices (sound cards) at the
same time.
Everything worked perfectly as far as I kept the output
sample rate the same. As soon as I tried to upsample only
one of the two streams (which unfortunately was exactly
my ultimate goal), I got "static". :-(

(maybe there is a solution to that too, but I was short
of time and just gave up trying).

BTW: isn't it possible to tell dmix to run itself at some
specific (e.g. 96K) sample rate?

May be the source of your problems can be the resampling
done "in the wrong place".

Of course Dmix has to run at some fixed rate and resample
all incoming streams to that rate anyway to do his own job.

Thus, instead of writing any custom/special rule (which is
quite an error-prone thing, unfortunately), likely you may
simply use defaults and only give some options to dmix to
tell it which sample rate (and algorithm) to use.

Check the alsa docs for an option like "default.rate",
"dmix.rate" or such... there should be one.

BTW: what if you disable (in the BIOS) and/or remove the
alsa modules for your on-board sound card, if any?

Perhaps you're incurring in a problem similar to mine:
AFAIK there is only one dmix, thus in a sense you too are
trying to feed two different cards at two different rates
at once... :-?

Ciao,
                                Paolo.

--