Re: Higher quality dmix resampling

On Wednesday 13 May 2009, Grant wrote:

> defaults.pcm.rate_converter "speexrate_best"
>
> in /etc/asound.conf and I restarted alsa, but I still have the static problem.

what do you have in your ~/.asoundrc ?

usually that's the "best" place to put your customizations.

(BTW: in Debian /etc/asound.conf does not even exists...
are you sure your distribution is setup to use that file?)

Nevertheless, I guess these "static" problem is not related
to the resample algorithm you are using - unless the problem
is related to insufficient system resources. What CPU do you
have?

I say this 'cause e.g. with my old laptop (PIIIM 1.2GHz)
basically I could not use anything better than the default.
Trying just about any other algorithm caused problems such
as underruns, skips, errors, etc.

Assuming this is not your case, your "static" problem may
be due to inappropriate sample rate and/or format of the
data sent to the sound card. Are you sure that e.g. you are
not trying to feed a 44.1KHz stream to a card which supports
only 48KHz ?

Ciao,
                                Paolo.

--